Thursday, July 3, 2008

"Nice To Meet You Kate"

Yesterday I had my 38 week visit with the midwives and had the pleasure of meeting, for the first time, the woman that may deliver this little baby. Kate was just leaving on her own maternity leave when I started on with Cowichan Midwifery Group and has just returned to work. I had been assured a few times that she was a very lovely woman and I sure wasn't dissappointed! I brought my mom along to my visit, as Trevor wasn't able to make it, and we had a great time meeting and greeting and chatting. We disscussed what will happen right after the baby is born with regards to separation from the baby and cord cutting. I did also find out that unfortunately, I tested positive for GBS which means that I have to and IV antibiotics during labour and if my water breaks without the onset of active labour things could get complicated. She told us that only two of every ten women have their membranes rupture without contractions so the chances are slim but it's just, in Kate's words, "Ugh"! I did gain about 5 pounds since I was last weighed six weeks ago but am still 34 centimeters in growth, which is the same as last week. Kate took extra time with the baby feeling it's position and listening to it's heartbeat. They are following very closely the lack of growth and that could, as well, change things with regards to our birth hopes/plan. The baby did respond very well when pushed and poked around as we heard an adorable spike in it's little heartbeat which Kate says is a very good thing. That and the fact that I have lots of movement she said are the best indicators of health. I see them again next Wednesday and will go from there to see if I have grown, and if not, what the next step will be. But all is very well and I left feeling even more excited for this arrival! Looking back, I can't believe what a blessing and thrill this pregnancy has been and I can say for sure that I will miss it........what an amazing gift we are given as woman to carry and birth into this world, God's good and perfect gift of children. What an Awesome Father we serve.......
***FYI - I originally posted this with a couple of "she's" and "girl" thrown in there........our hospitals on the island do not and will not tell you the sex of your baby so no we don't know what it is but I am sick of calling this baby "it" so I just decided to start calling "it" "her" because that's what I happen to think it is. But I will refrain for fear of giving people the wrong idea :) ***

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay! Did you find out that you are for sure having a GIRL?? Way to be not-so-subtle! Haha!
You will LOVE having a baby girl! They are so much fun! Congrats!!!

Christy said...

No....we don't know what baby is. Just tired of calling baby "it" so since I happen to think it's a girl I was slipping that in there....would be nice though!