Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goals-I'll-Never-Accomplish-Without-The-Strength-And-Grace-Of-God (aka NY Resolutions)

Well, as of 12:00 tonight, we will say goodbye to all things 2008 and welcome 2009. This time of year, as we all know, sometimes comes with the heaviness of resolutions unkept and the pressure of resolutions to make.
I personally feel like labelling any goal with the word resolution is overall, asking for failure and disappointment. That being said, I've never been one to make resolutions. But this year I'm going to make "goals-I'll-never-accomplish-without-the-strength-and-grace-of-God", because nothing in this life is worth doing outside of Him, and nothing is do-able without Him.
Looking back over 2008, there are some areas in my life that I feel have improved that I want to dig deeper and improve more, and there are some areas that are sitting rusted, cobwebbed and dusty due to my lack of attention.
Before I go ahead and start though, I want to make it known that it is not on my own strength or motivation or willpower that I will succeed, but by the never-ending faithfulness and provision from my Heavenly Father because "I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)
Goal #1 -To Become More Financially Responsible
I don't feel the need to share details but I've never been particularly strong in this area of my life. It's always been a struggle because I am such an impulse buyer, instant-gratification type girl. I've already sat down on Microsoft Excel and made out a budget and was shocked at what I've already learned about my spending habits. I'm going to start saving reciepts and really paying attention to what I'm paying. In just under six months I have to decide whether I want to re-enter the workforce and I do not want that decision to be forced because we need the income. I want to learn to trust God even more, tithe even more and watch him pour out his blessings.
Goal #2 - To Decrease My Carbon Footprint
I've always been a very energy/save-the-earth conscious person. Not just for the environmental reasons, but because in the end, I have to pay for it.
Here are some ways we are doing our part to be good stewards of our Father's world.....
-recycle all paper, cardboard, plastic/tin/aluminum containers, plastic wrapping etc
-leave our heat turned down to a minimum during the day, turned low at night, and turned off in the spare room
-insulated our electrical outlets
-turn off the heat dry function on the dishwasher
-wash all our laundry in cold water only and only wash full loads
Here are a few things I would like to start doing.....
-turn off and unplug our computer every night
-unplug our downstairs phone and microwave at night as we don't use them (and any lamps or electronics that we don't use during the day or night)
-dress warmer and keep the heat turned down even more
-start composting food waste rather than throwing it away
-chose environmentally friendly cleaning products, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent etc
-continue to drive as little as possible and make as few trips as possible
It has long been my conviction that humans are missing the mark when it comes to the earth that was left in our care and as Christians we need to step up our game and start taking responsibility and make the effort to do all we can.
"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
God blessed them and said to them, 'Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.' "Genesis 1:26-28
#3 - To Be More Diligent With My Time
I want to re prioritize my life and start to analyze what the really important things are and what things am I wasting my time on. I know that my time is not my own and I want my life to count for something.
#4 - To Enjoy The Simple Things And Be Thankful For What I Have
This one really needs no more explanation. I want to live every moment like it is my last and use each day to make someone else's day brighter and wear the light of my salvation in Christ where ever I go, whatever I do. I want to see the magic in a blossoming flower and become more childlike at heart. I want to experience all the beauty that is so close around me, not wishing to be anywhere but here. I want to be thankful for my home, family, belongings and life and not spend that life wanting after the new and shiny.
I think I will stop there for fear that you may be falling asleep at your computer. I figure there's no better way to keep myself accountable than knowing how many people know about my goals and can keep me in line and support me.
We've been uber busy around here......we're hosting NYE at our place tonight and a big (like 20 people big) breakfast in the morning before we jet off to the mainland again for a wedding and won't be home until Saturday. So check back for complete Christmas, NYE, and B&R wedding coverage, as well as Christy's Favourite Things of 2008....move over Oprah!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Happy New Year! Good luck with all your(not)resolutions!