Friday, March 20, 2009

:: I Salute You ::

There are many things in my life that are important to me. God, my family, my church family, my country. I believe so strongly that there are many people that serve this country everyday that are so undervalued in society.I turned to CTV Newsnet today only to catch breaking news about four more Canadian soldiers who lost their lives in Afghanistan today. The oldest was 28, the youngest, was just 20 years old.
It isn't enough to remember those who sacrifice, just once a year on Remembrance Day.
Most of you know that my brother served overseas for seven months. My husbands grandfather, father and brother all served/serve as police officers. I have also had the pleasure of getting to know some new local police officers and their families through church and am good friends with a firefighter.
When we are in an hour of need, we are blessed to live in a country with numerous emergency responders who save lives everyday. We also live in a country, and a world, full of men and women willing to make a stand for those in need and even lose their lives to fight for freedom.
Every day, across the world, mother's lose their sons, father's lose their daughters, wives lose their husbands and children their parents in the name of freedom and defending justice.
Take some time today to pray for our emergency responders, troops and world leaders. Remember them and the things they, and their family give up so we can be safe.
Let's take a second to say thank you, we respect you and hold you up in prayer.

2 comments:

Meg Baxter said...

Thank you, Christy. It's days like these that make me view our future with more gravity than usual.

Anonymous said...

Christy,

I know what you mean. My husband is a US Soldier, and it really seems like they are forgotten. In the last election, nobody was really concerned about bringing the troops home from Iraq or Afganistan. Everyone was just concerned about not being able to pay off their credit cards and other debts.

Thanks for bringing this up and raising awareness. Our troops (from every country) are doing important work overseas, and it's essential that we support them.